An experienced broadcast journalist, bringing a youthful voice to centuries-old traditions
With experience across print, TV, radio and digital platforms, James is one of the next generation of royal correspondents and commentators.
A graduate of two of the UK's best journalism programmes, James is skilled both in front and behind the camera. He's appeared as a royal commentator and presenter on national UK, European, and international radio and TV networks; and has experience in industry-standard hardware and software to film, edit, and produce high-quality audiovisual content.
With a background in technology and extensive experience producing content for a large digital audience, James offers a fresh, relatable take on a topic that's often seen as stale and stuffy.
Experience with major broadcasters and networks
SEPTEMBER 2017 - PRESENT | BBC RADIO SHEFFIELD
FREELANCE BROADCAST JOURNALIST
• In-depth current affairs research to a broad brief, focusing on local news angles
• Interviewing and reporting, in recorded and live situations; in studio or on location
• Experience preparing news bulletins, sub-editing copy, preparing radio & TV packages
• Originating, developing and planning current and future programme ideas
• Experience with professional broadcasting equipment and studio environments
NOVEMBER 2016 - PRESENT | ROYALCENTRAL.CO.uk
DIRECTOR OF BROADCASTING AND COMMUNICATIONS
• Recruited & lead team of presenters, producing daily news bulletin 'The Recap from Royal Central'
• Primary point of contact for the site's media queries and requests, acting as a spokesperson
• Responsible for building Royal Central's reputation and promoting its work to external parties
• Experience managing press relations with royal producers, correspondents, and royal press offices at Buckingham Palace, Clarence House and Kensington Palace
NOVEMBER 2015 - NOVEMBER 2016 | ROYALCENTRAL.co.uk
• Assisted in daily running of one of the web's largest royal news sites (6 million+ visitors annually)
• Commissioned and developed editorial content and assigned news stories to reporting team
• Extensive experience in subediting, SEO preparation, social media & content management systems
• Recruited new reporters and bloggers
MAY - AUGUST 2016 | DEBRETT's
• Three-month internship on 2017 edition of flagship publication: People of Today
• Extensive proof-reading and subediting skills, with a refined attention to detail
• Experience with website design, content management and SEO
• Created marketing content for targeted mailings, email newsletters and social media
• Interviewed leading UK figures, including fashion designer Jenny Packham, BAFTA CEO Amanda Berry, and chef Jason Atherton
February - July 2016 | EXPRESS NEWSPAPERS
ONLINE VIDEO ASSISTANT
• Sourced video content Daily Express, Sunday Express and Daily Star stories
• Edited and created multimedia content, including video and audio packages
• Regular and extensive use of Adobe Premiere Pro and Brightcove
• Provided web desks with story suggestions from news and viral video agencies
• Assisted on video shoots for newspapers and OK! Magazine
AUGUST - OCTOBER 2015 | ROYALCENTRAL.CO.UK
• Produced news articles and blog content for large readership (800,000+ monthly)
• Major event reporting: Princess Charlotte's birth, The Queen's 90th Birthday, etc
• Provided editorial and social media support for senior editorial team
• Maintained effective communication amongst the reporting team
SEPTEMBER 2017 - SEPTEMBER 2018 | UNIVERSITY OF SHEFFIELD, UK
MA BROADCAST JOURNALISM
• BJTC accredited course, with specific focus on radio and television news production
• Confident using professional studio and gallery equipment and Burli newsroom system
• Experience sourcing local news stories from across South Yorkshire and presenting bulletins on University's radio station, Forge Radio
SEPTEMBER 2014 - JUNE 2017 | UNIVERSITY OF WESTMINSTER, UK
BA (HONS) JOURNALISM WITH FIRST CLASS HONOURS
• Modules in key industry areas, including subediting, media law, advertising & PR, broadcasting
• Experienced in multi-platform journalism (produced 30-minute radio show, created 60-page magazine)
• Student Representative - experience representing peers on a course- and University-wide level
Get In Touch
With over five years of experience in the field, James' commentary is the perfect addition to any royal content. No matter what your needs - print, broadcast, or digital - James will work with you to find the best solution to supplement your coverage.
Pop your details in the form below. You can usually expect a response within 24 hours. If you need urgent commentary for a breaking news story, let us know and we'll fast-track your enquiry for a quicker response.
For print and brief broadcast commentary (less than 15 minutes), there's no charge.
For extended programming and features, the following rates apply:
- Daily: £200 (Min. 8 Hours)
- Hourly: £50
Got a long-term project you're working on? Get in touch for a personalised quote.